Profile for Apple TV 2

Moderators: lucy, Xorsist, TattooScorpio, cloud, Willer

Profile for Apple TV 2

Postby gurkburk » 07 Feb 2011, 09:13

Hi!

Do someone have som input regarding creating a profile (ipod converter) for Apple TV second generation?
The profile "Apple TV" have a resolution of 640x480. Isn't a DVD resolution 720x576 (PAL) so it would be better to increase the resolution in the profile?

Regards Peter
gurkburk

Re: Profile for Apple TV 2

Postby cloud » 07 Feb 2011, 14:12

Dear peter,

You needn't increase the resolution.
Standard definition TVs have rectangular pixels, not the square ones that HD and computer monitors use. 720x480 on these rectangular pixels stretch to be the same physical size as 640x480 on the square pixels of a computer monitor or HD screen.

Increasing the resolution won't improve the quality too much, on the contrary, it needs more time to rip. But you can increase the video bitrate to get better quality. For MPEG-4 codec, you can set the "Video Bitrate" up to 2500, while 2000 for H.264 codec.

You may have a try then rip a small clip to check the result on your Apple TV 2.
Ideal DVD Software - give you the eaiest solution for DVD Copy and video conversion.
Backup any protected DVDs or convert DVD/avi/wmv/flv/rmvb/rv to iPod/psp/avi formats.
cloud
Site Admin

Postby gurkburk » 12 Feb 2011, 23:56

Hi!

Apple TV 2 can use as high resolution as 720p with HDMI to my TV. So you say that i still should use lower resolution than 720?

What is the maximum resulution I can use to have a file compatible with both Apple TV2 and Ipod Classic?

BR Peter
gurkburk

Postby gurkburk » 13 Feb 2011, 09:19

Hi!

I tried converting the film UPP with this profile:
Resolution 720x576 Full screen (1024x576)
Video Bitrate:1500kbps
Audio Bitrate:256kbps
Codec:H.264

I then played it with Apple TV2 and my Sony Bravia LCD TV and I'm not that satisfied with the quality. It looks like that there is some problem converting (Upscaling correct english?) the 576p signal up to the TV resolution. Apple TV 2 problem?
Could it be better to convert it to 720p directly?

I'll think I will stay with two versions. One for iPod and one for Apple TV 2.

Regards Peter
gurkburk

Postby cloud » 14 Feb 2011, 02:00

Please first play the ripped file on your computer with Quictime, then tell me the exact resolution of it. If you can't figure out, please click "Menu"->"Export log file" to export the log file to us, then I'll give you further help.
Ideal DVD Software - give you the eaiest solution for DVD Copy and video conversion.
Backup any protected DVDs or convert DVD/avi/wmv/flv/rmvb/rv to iPod/psp/avi formats.
cloud
Site Admin

Postby cloud » 15 Feb 2011, 03:48

Maybe you can try the following settings:

full screen: 768*576
wide screen: 1024*576

codec: MPEG-4
Vedio Bitrate: 2500

As I said, in computer 640*360 can be automatically scaled to 720*576 on TV screen. But 720*576 isn't a standar aspect ratio, so when ripping, if you use 720*576, the output video will be a little distortion.

Please try the above settings then let me know the result. Thanks.
cloud
Site Admin

Postby gurkburk » 11 Mar 2011, 16:19

Hi!

I tried twith your suggested settings and it for the file "The Incredible" ended up with a 2,05 GB large file. But it's not playable (Mailed support about it).
If i abort the conversion ending up with a smaller file I can play it and the quality is good. I will compare with other settings.

I can't realy find the option "Menu"->"Export log file". I can find "Export" but it's a "Pro" option not aviable in my free version of Quicktime.

BR Peter
gurkburk

Postby cloud » 12 Mar 2011, 10:14

The issue is caused by the file size. When it's over than 2GB, our program didn't handle it well, so it can't be played. Please try the beta version (http://www.idealdvdcopy.com/test/IdealDVD2iPod253b.exe ) and tell me the result. We'll fix the bug in next version soon.

BTW, I mean export the log file from our program "Ideal DVD to iPod Converter", but not QuickTime.
cloud
Site Admin

Postby gurkburk » 20 Mar 2011, 09:37

Hi!

I have now tried with resolution of 768*576 with both H.264 (Max bitstream) and MPEG-4 with 2500. Realy I can't see any bigg difference in quality so I guess they both should be in better quality with higher bitstream.
Why is there a limit of for example 2500 for MPEG-4?

I saw that you have released a iPad converter. Whats the difference between iPod and Ipad converter? Is iPad converter better for Apple TV 2 files?

BR Peter
gurkburk

Postby cloud » 20 Mar 2011, 14:30

Yes, when the bitrate is the same, improve resolution won't improve the quality too much, on the contrary, it needs more time to rip.

As for the limitation to MPEG-4 codec, it depends on the MPEG-4 codec specification. And in fact, for H.264, there's also a limitation up to 1500. I know some softwares don't have such a limitation, but even if you can use a larger bitrate to rip, the quality won't improved because of the codec specification.

For iPad converter, because a lot of users don't know there's embeded a profile for iPad in iPod converter, so we released it. The difference is the profile. In iPad converter, the default profile uses a high value so uses can get the best quality on iPad without setting the profile. For apple tV2 profile, the quality is the same.

Considering Apple TV has a higher quality request, maybe we'll developed a new program in the near future to improve the sample rate to get high HD video quality.
cloud
Site Admin

Return to Questions from Users