Newbie questions

We will post the tech guides about Ideal DVD Copy here. If you have any question when using Ideal DVD Copy, just post here, we'll help you as soon as possible.

Moderators: lucy, Xorsist, TattooScorpio, cloud, Willer

Newbie questions

Postby SheGeek » 06 Mar 2010, 19:31

Forgive me if my questions sound silly, this is new to me. I have a DVD collection of 800-900 movies. I am thinking that storing these movies on a collection of external HDs and using Movienizer to link to them for viewing. (I am running out of shelves to store them all, LOL)
I have a few questions though...
What is the compression rate for a high quality video? In other words, how many movies would I be able to fit on a TB external HD? Is it possible to save the extras with the movie? Or is it better not to? About how long does it take to convert a movie? I have a program that allows me to convert a movie to my iPod but it is a very slow process.
And, finally, do you think this a viable plan at all?

Thank you,
Angie
SheGeek

Re: Newbie questions

Postby cloud » 08 Mar 2010, 06:28

Usually if the compression rate is higher than 80%, the quality is perfect. If you want to get higher compression rate, you may just copy the DVD with "Only the main movie" mode.

Since DVD file is large, at least 4.38 GB for each (with copression), a 200GB hd can only hold about 46 DVDs. To save space, you may try to convert your DVD to iPod or avi format. For those format, usually a dvd is about 500MB with the default profile which will get perfect quality. And a 200GB HD can hold about 350 DVDs. Converter works by title, ouput a title to a single file, and extras and main movie are in different titles, if you need both of them, you should use other software to join them together.

To save your time, I suggest you convert your DVD to Avi format. Ideal DVD to Avi Converter can rip 5 different DVDs at one time. You may copy your DVDs to your PC first, then run Ideal DVD to Avi Converter, follow http://www.idealdvdcopy.com/batch-dvd-ripping.htm to learn how to do that.
Ideal DVD Software - give you the eaiest solution for DVD Copy and video conversion.
Backup any protected DVDs or convert DVD/avi/wmv/flv/rmvb/rv to iPod/psp/avi formats.
cloud
Site Admin

Return to Ideal DVD Copy for Windows